Once a thriving sugar plantation, the Bulow Plantation Ruins include extensive coquina ruins of the sugar mill, several wells, a spring house, and the foundations of the once grand manor house, "Bulowville." The plantation was begun in 1821 by Charles Bulow. In the 1830s his son operated the plantation along with 300 slaves. At the time, Bulow was considered the most prosperous plantation in East Florida. In December of 1835 the Seminole Indians, angry with the territorial governments policy of forcible Indian removal, attacked and destroyed sixteen plantations along the St. Johns and Halifax rivers. This marked the beginning of the Second Seminole War. Many of the refugees gathered at Bulow Plantation which was abandoned and ultimately destroyed in January of 1836.